Sunday, February 27, 2011

A common bond

"With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts." - Eleanor Roosevelt


Good morning readers! Today, I want to thank everyone for all your positive and supportive feedback. Last night, I got some truly amazing emails from people I had no idea even read my blog. You are the ones that keep me writing and keep me going on this journey of mine. I also received some very negative feedback, and to those people I have nothing to say. A deployment is not easy by any means, no matter where your husband is going and no matter for how long, and the majority of us military spouses need a lot of support. I started this blog to publicly display the trials and triumphs of a deployment. I wanted to be very open and very honest with my personal thoughts and feelings from the very first post, this includes last night's "Things you never say to a military spouse."



I don't expect everyone to relate to everything I say, and I don't expect anyone to agree with anything I say, but never in my wildest imagination did I expect to get anything but support from other military spouses. Is it possible that I am being naive? Sure, I suppose so. I guess in a perfect world military spouses would come together to share a common interest, and be there to support one another on this life-changing journey, but we don't live in a perfect world. This isn't "Saving Private Ryan." We don't all sit in a kumbaya circle, holding hands and letting others cry on your shoulder. At least, not anymore. I considered deleting the entire post, but what would that prove? I had to remind myself that this is my journey, my feelings, my blog and it needs to stay honest. I also had to remind myself of all the wonderful, supportive people that read my blog because of a common bond. These girls are only looking for a hand to hold; a friend to lean on. I want to make a promise right now, that I will always be there to listen and offer friendly advice to anyone that comes to me.

Being a spouse of a service member is unlike anything you will ever experience. Some may argue that it's not, but from my own experience and in my honest opinion, I live an extremely different life then "non military spouses" do. I've been noticing in the short time of being a Navy wife that there are basically two different "types" of military spouses. There are some women who will do anything to bring you down, even in your darkest of days, and that needs to be said. Bullying on what is advertised as a "support forum" has gone on for too long and something needs to be done about it. The other type are the ones that exist only to raise you up and offer nothing but love and understanding. I'm a member of three different "support forums" and I can only honesty say I actively use one. HOOT is hands down the best forum I have ever been on and the only one I feel comfortable recommending. They offer the positive support that the majority of military spouses are in search of. My husband is ultimately the best support system I could ever ask for, of course. But for the moments he's not available, which is a lot these days, I would recommend HOOT to anyone.

I hope everyone has a beautiful Sunday, I know I will. Brylie and I are going to go get some ice cream, rent a movie and enjoy this stormy day. Life is a beautiful thing if you let it be. 



"We can conquer the world, in love, you and I."

4 comments:

  1. <3.......you know I am here :) I am glad your look at today as a new day..Keep thinking positive :) I can't wait for you to get back to SD so that the babies can have a play date

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read and responded to your "list" blog post, and all I have to say is this: Us mili bloggers come online and publicly post our feelings and thoughts for the world to see. With that, comes feedback. Both negative and positive. Even as a USN Sailor's other half, such as myself, I'm not going to necessarily agree with everything you say, think or feel. It's human nature. Your blog is raw and it's real. Not only that, but it's very honest. To say the very least, it lets us, as the readers, see your true colors. ESPECIALLY with the "list" post. Not every military significant other finds peoples' questions to us as annoying. They're just trying to understand. And just for the record, you should stop putting down civilians. You're a civilian, too. You're not active duty military, your husband is. This makes YOU a civilian. Your post really got under a lot of peoples' skin in my area near the naval base, and I was referred to it and was asked my opinion. I just chose to give it publicly. You give a lot of us military wives, girlfriends and fiances a bad name by making other women scared to approach us after reading your list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the list, and honestly, I've seen it floating around facebook and other blogs as well. I think that for the most part, that list is meant to be funny, and inform other who aren't aware of military lifestyle to understand what goes through out minds when they ask questions along those lines. When I'm asked questions like that concerning my fiance's deployment I smile and answer as politely as I can. In my head, yeah there are times when I'm calling them a dumbass because a lot of their questions can be answered by the news. Does that make me elitist? I don't think so. Obviously someone else does. Don't let it get you down, it's your blog and if you chose to share a list that you obviously didn't write then go for it.

    ReplyDelete